Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dare to DIY Blog Party (Week 4 of 6): Homemade Almond Roca

This week's "Dare to..." challenge (courtesy of The NewlyWoodwards and their Dare to DIY blog party), is "Dare to...give homemade gifts!"  I've been working on a few homemade gifts already, but didn't want to spoil the recipients.  I generally make some sweet treats for friends though and decided to try something new this year - homemade almond roca.  This homemade gift is super easy and incredibly tasty.  The image below is of the almond roca itself.  I'm packaging it in holiday tins lined with parchment paper.  I found the tins at Dollar Tree - what a deal!


Homemade Almond Roca

1 pound butter
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
6 tablespoons water
1 cup finely chopped almonds
12 ounces milk chocolate (I used Hershey bars)

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat (with candy thermometer attached).  Add corn syrup, water, and sugar to pot and cook until mixture reaches 285 degrees F, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.  Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup almonds.  Pour mixture onto a greased cookie sheet with edges.  While the mixture is cooling, melt the chocolate over low heat until smooth.  Score butter/almond mixture into desired shape (I scored into rectangular shapes using a pizza cutter).  Pour melted chocolate over butter/almond mixture and spread evenly.  Sprinkle remaining almonds on top.  Allow to cool completely and chocolate to harden before breaking apart (I covered my candy with foil and placed in our chilly garage since my refrigerator couldn't accommodate the cookie sheet).

2 comments:

  1. Oh yummmmmm! Looks delicious!
    funwiththefullwoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Thanks for linking up to Dare to DIY.

    ReplyDelete