Friday, December 2, 2011

Dare to DIY Blog Party (Week 3 of 6): Chocolate Crinkles

This week, the NewlyWoodwards challenged their readers with "Dare to...eat cookies!"  Hello, eating cookies - sign me up!  I decided to make one of Dustin's favorite cookies, chocolate crinkles.  They were absolutely delicious, although a little time consuming.  I would definitely make them again for a party, but not necessarily just for having at home.  I also sent what was left with Dustin to work today...otherwise I might have eaten all of them.  Seriously, they're that good!


Chocolate Crinkles

1/2 cup butter, softened *
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt * 
1/2 cup powdered sugar

In a large bowl, mix butter, chocolate, granulated sugar, and vanilla.  Stir in eggs, one at a time.  Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. **

Heat oven to 350 degree F.  Grease cookie sheet with shortening.  Roll teaspoonfuls of dough between hands to create a ball.  Roll ball in powdered sugar, coating entirely.  Place coated dough balls about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet (12 per batch).  Bake 10 to 12 minutes.  Sides should be set, center is still slightly soft, and powdered sugar crackled on top.  Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
* Because I only had salted butter, I used only 1/4 teaspoon salt for this recipe.

** When first mixed, the dough is very soft.  I refrigerated my dough overnight.  I also put my dough back in the refrigerator or freezer between batches because it would become too soft to be workable.
 

1 comment:

  1. I might try these this weekend! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete