Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Crockpot White Chicken Chili

Dustin loves chili.  He's a purist though.  He toasts his own peppers to create the perfect chili powder.  I rarely get to help out with the chili making process.  So I jumped at the chance to make a chili while he was out of town.  And I went in the opposite direction of Dustin's recipe.  No beef, no chili powder, no kidney beans.  Oh my!

Next time I make this recipe, I plan to add a fresh jalapeno and some other chiles.  There wasn't quite enough quick for me.  Enter my trusty cayenne pepper!


Crockpot White Chicken Chili

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 cups chicken broth*
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce (or more if you like spicy food like me)
2 - 15 ounce cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 - 15.25 ounce can corn, drained

Mix onion, garlic, broth, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper sauce in crockpot.  Add chicken, beans, and corn.  Cook on low heat for 6 hours.  Remove chicken and shred.  Return to crockpot to re-warm chicken as needed.  Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.

*I used three cups of broth to start and then added the fourth cup after shredding the chicken.  It didn't look soupy enough for my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment