Wednesday, October 19, 2011

DIY Wall Art - Abstract Lines

After moving into our home in Portland, I was struck by how bare our walls were.  Something had to be done!  Unfortunately, we don't have a large art budget.  What's a gal to do?  Well find a DIY project of course!  For my first DIY art piece, I chose something very simple to complete.  I was inspired by this image:


I headed to my local craft store and picked up my supplies:

18" x 24" canvas: $8.99 (used 40% off coupon)
Paint: $2.78
Foam brushes: $0.20
Painter's tape: $0.00 (already had, $2.99 if purchasing new)
Acrylic sealer (matte): $5.99
Total: $17.96

To create your own DIY abstract lines wall art, begin by applying the painter's tape to the canvas, including the edges.  Then, plan out which color you'd like in each white section of the canvas.  I used a light blue for the majority of my canvas, but added a dark blue in certain sections for contrast.  Next, apply a coat of paint.  Allow to dry and then apply a second coat.  Allow to dry and then peel off the painter's tape (leaving you with crisp white lines).  Last, apply an acrylic sealer (if needed).  Voila!



For my project, I used Martha Stewart craft paint in satin finish (Cloud and Deep Sea) and 3/4" painter's tape.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I have some canvas that has been sitting around...now I know what to do with them!

    Thanks!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete